Saturday I reassembled the repaired exhaust system and put it back on the aircraft. I’m very glad I took a lot of pictures as I was removing it, as it is in six pieces and it wasn’t obvious how the puzzle went back together. I also had quite a number of heat shields to reinstall.

I did’t get a test flight off that day, as it was very hot and muggy and I ran out of energy before getting to the engine run stage. I’m chasing a small oil leak near the front of the engine, so I cleaned the engine up and will do a couple of short engine runs before I put the cowling back on, hoping I can see some sign of where the oil is coming from.


Here is the repaired top end of the #3 cylinder exhaust pipe. You can see the new 0.049” wall thickness pipe at the top and the new flange.


Here you can see the welded on reinforcing patches that Larry Vetterman put at the top of each of the other cylinders. These are part of the currently shipping configuration.


I hope to get the aircraft flying tomorrow.