×

Warning

The mail function has been disabled by an administrator.

Deprecated: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in /var/www/rv8/media/foundry/3.1/libraries/cssmin.php on line 2236

The engine arrived at the Day and Ross depot on the weekend, so I picked it up late this afternoon. There were no signs of distress on the crate from the accident that the trailer was in. When I got the engine to the hangar, and popped the top off the crate, everything looked just fine.

Sharp visitors may note that the engine is now a slightly different shade of red. Originally, I asked Aerosport Power to paint it a VW Mars Red, as that red is close to the red in the Golden Hawks paint scheme. But, later, I saw what their standard red looked, like, and it is equally acceptable. When I pulled the baffles off the engine, some of the original paint came off in large areas, so Aerosport repainted it at no charge. They asked if they could use their standard red colour, and I agreed.

I am very happy to have the engine back in Smiths Falls, but won’t be completely comfortable until the prop has arrived too. The prop is currently sitting in a warehouse in Toronto, waiting for Customs release. There was quite a screw up with the prop shipping. I had very specific written communications with the North American agent for MT prop who I bought the prop from. He agreed that the prop would be shipped to a depot in Ottawa. But, somehow the folks who shipped the prop from Germany thought that getting it to Toronto was close enough, and they made no provisions for onward shipping from Toronto to Ottawa. I called the North American agent this afternoon, and he agreed to reimburse my costs to have the prop trucked from Toronto to Ottawa. I will be in Toronto for meetings the next three days, so tomorrow evening I will go to the Canada Customs facility at the airport to give them their pound of flesh (and two pounds of paper and a big wad of cash) so they will release it.

Leave your comments

Post comment as a guest

0 / 1000 Character restriction
Your text should be less than 1000 characters

People in this conversation

  • So Kevin...
    I have been very interested in the variety of comments regarding the "damage" to the engine from the 3900 RPM event. Was there any damage at all? Was the inspection sufficient to uncover any subtle damage such as rod length growth? I heard many opinions as to the exent of damage and would like to have a clear data point with regard to findings as you have such a good set of parameters capturing the overspeed. Were there any questionable or marginal findings that you decided to accept or was the engine absolutely clear? Thanks in advance for the good documentation and factual information.

    FM
    RV-8, 288 hrs, 200HP IO-360

    Comment last edited on about 4 years ago by Kevin Horton
  • Bart has done a lot of overhauls, and he supports several engines that are
    raced at high rpm, so I trust he knows what to look for during an overspeed
    inspection.

    To be perfectly honest, I don't know if the inspection would have picked up
    an issue with connecting rod length. Bart did mention that connecting rods
    were an item that he paid particular attention to, as he has seen problems in
    the past. But, the issue he described to me was distortion in the area of the
    connecting rod bolts, not a problem with connecting rod length.

    Bart says that he found absolutely zero problems with the engine, so I didn't
    have to consider accepting any marginal findings.

    ---
    Kevin Horton