I was in Washington, DC most of the week, getting home on Thursday evening.

I had tentative plans to fly to Yarmouth, NS on Friday to visit my folks, flying home on Monday. But, the weather story on Friday morning wasn’t nearly as good as the forecasts had suggested, with an extensive area of low, cold cloud extending about an hour east of Ottawa. Both Nav Canada and the US National Weather Service were forecasting significant icing in that band of cloud. I pondered waiting a few hours to watch the PIREPs, to see if the icing was really there, but that would have eaten into the short time available for this trip. I decided to cancel and try again later in the season, then the freezing level is higher allowing flight at IFR altitudes without picking up ice. I also hope to have a longer window of free time on some future trip.